The Brain & The Productivity
A Whole-Brained Culture Where Performance Plus Productivity Will Equal Profitability
(A Change In Thinking Is Dynamic)
Available in English & in Arabic
Economy in the 3rd millennium values knowledge as a tangible asset, where customers are considered to be prosumers (active participants in commerce), where organizations are integrated networks as opposed to hierarchical structure,
where technology is digital as opposed to analog, where employees are shifted from skilled laborers to knowledge workers, those who have the information have the knowledge and hence have the power. Therefore, it is requirement and
necessity nowadays that each of us should be able to integrate the power of cognitive, technical, and emotional intelligence skills in order to perform superbly any task assigned. This process of perfection the performance has first
been conveyed to us through our great Messenger “Mohammed’ peace be upon him through his Hadeeth:
قال رسول الله صلى الله عليه وسلم
إن الله يحب أنه إذا عمل أحدكم عملاً فليتقنه
The appropriate translation in English is:
“Consistent Conformance To The Agreed Upon Customers’ Expectations”,
and that is the exact meaning of what is called
Internationally speaking, “Quality” has been made of five (5) important essentials, they are as follows:
1- Quality is consistent conformance to the agreed-upon customers' expectations
2- Measurements of quality are through indicators of customers' satisfaction versus indicators of self-gratification
3- The objective is conformance to expectations 100% of the time
4- Quality is attained through prevention and specific improvement projects
5- Management commitment leads the quality process
Therefore, quality is quality whether we talk about commodity or services; the meaning is exactly the same. It is also important to mention in the context of the subject that World Trade Organization require countries not to discriminate against the two (Commodities & Services). Now we come to the result that the concept of superior performance in commodity and services as well, is a necessity and must be well integrated for successful businesses. For this reason, the brain of human plays an important part and it is the only part that is responsible and capable of performing superbly. Although, the brain of human is of a great value, unfortunately people in general neglect this fact and continue in their ignorance; this has led to many problems in human behaviors which contributed and continue to contribute to the waste of our energy and resources on a daily basis.
Every person is born with a brain that functions as an immensely (enormously) powerful processor. Traditional schooling, however, often inhibits learning by discouraging, ignoring, or punishing the brain's natural learning processes. We have to admit the fact that our brain is naturally capable of performing superbly and this is due to the following facts:
- The brain is the center of innovation & creativity
- The brain continues to develop through the process of real communication, especially face-to-face interaction
- The brain is a parallel processor, meaning it can perform several activities at once, like tasting and smelling.
- Learning engages the whole physiology.
- The search for meaning is innate.
- The search for meaning comes through patterning.
- Emotions are critical to patterning.
- The brain processes wholes and parts simultaneously.
- Learning involves both focused attention and peripheral perception.
- Learning involves both conscious and unconscious processes.
- We have two types of memory: spatial and rote (rote means memorizing with out understanding).
- We understand best when facts are embedded in natural, spatial memory.
- Learning is enhanced by challenge and inhibited (reserved, repressed, subdued) by threat.
- Each brain is unique.
Further studies showed that various functions of thought are physically separated and localized to a specific area on either the left or right side of the human brain. This functional map is consistent for an estimated 70 to 95 percent
of us. Each side of the brain had its own way to interpret the world and react to it. Our personality can be thought of as a result of the degree to which these left and right brains interact, or, in some cases, do not interact.
Which brain is in control of which situations; is what makes our personalities. This does determine our character which greatly impacts our performance whether negative or positive.
Negative brain performance happens when the left side just "doesn't get" what the right side is all about or vice versa. It tends to dismiss anything significant coming into consciousness from its "flaky" cranial twin. Sometimes two sides can actually disagree, resulting in our perception of emotional turmoil from the expressive protests of right brain. This unfair dominance of one side of the brain over the other causes performance to be in great risk all the time; this can easily become a chronic disease that causes diminished productivity and poor interpersonal relationships.
For optimum mental ability, both brains must work together like a team; just as our Messenger Mohammed Peace Be up on Him said in his great Hadeeth:
قال رسول الله صلى الله عليه وسلم
"لا يؤمن أحدكم حتى يحب لأخيه ما يحب لنفسه"
This process of optimum mental ability does not happen by a chance or by a dropped basket from the sky, but it rather happens by mastering the competencies for the 3rd millennium’s business processes via our learning process of Emotional Intelligence. This is what is called “Multiple Intelligence's” and it is a real learning process, where people actually understand the configuration of their brains and start optimizing the learning process. Understanding the functions of the right brain and the functions of the left brain will undoubtedly help people better utilize both, each with its specialty. This coordinating ability may be the key to superior intellectual abilities and that is our aim from this training.
In most people, however, the left brain takes control, choosing logic, reasoning and details over imagination, holistic thinking and artistic talent. Methods have been devised to "shut off" the left brain, allowing the right side to have its say; ex.
“Brain Storming” & “Creative writing courses”. The same thing holds true in regard to “shut off” the right brain, allowing the left brain to have its say.
It is concluded that most individuals have a distinct preference for one of these styles of thinking. Some, however, are more whole-brained and equally adept (skilled) at both modes. Those are actually trained to be good in both and our journey toward “The Brain & Productivity” will help in developing more and more people into this culture of what is called “whole-brained”, where performance plus productivity will equal profitability.
- The Brain, The Process Of Thinking And The Journey Toward A Change In Thinking
- A Vision That Is Worth Pondering (The Leader & Innovation)
- Brain Assessment Exercise (Self-Assessment)
- Some Facts of Our Brain
- The corpus callosum & Its Dynamic Function In The Brain
- Understanding The Two Modes Of Thinking (Right & Left)
- The Brain & Personality - Determining The Hemisphere Dominance
- The Two Hemispheres & Some Facts (Understanding The Functions Of The Right & The Functions Of The Left)
- The Brain & Intelligence
- Our Unfortunate Common Brain Problems & The Learning Of Their Solutions
- Brain Configuration Toward “Whole Brained” Approach
- Creating An Environment & Culture For Brain Based Learning